C.E.R.E.S. Zero Valent Iron
Zero Valent Iron – High quality and purity micro scale iron powder and granules for in situ chemical reduction for source areas, permeable reactive barriers, and other soil and groundwater remediation approaches. Also commonly utilized in above ground water treatment systems for selenium, chlorinated compounds and heavy metals.
CERES Zero Valent Iron (ZVI) powder originates from a controlled atomization process for steel shot production from molten iron. Our iron content is available at up to 99% purity. Our ZVI is produced with high quality proprietary grinding and pulverizing technology to produce many thousands of tons per year of ZVI powder with no appreciable surface oxides. ZVI is on of the most effective and reliable remediation technologies proven over decades to achieve successful in situ chemical reduction (ISCR) of many target contaminants. CERES has supported many clients with ZVI for ISCR projects around the world for many years with great success and proud to say that customer goals are being achieved!
- Proven remediation technology since the 1970’s.
- Applicable in soil piles and in-situ chemical reduction applications for groundwater treatment.
- Economical solution for chlorinated solvent and hexavalent chromium remediation applications.
- Easily applied by soil mixing or injection.
- Can be injected with low pressure (10 micron or smaller ZVI).
- Combine with MTS for mixed contaminant plumes of heavy metals and organics.
Proven Field Applications
- Permeable reactive barriers (PRBs) and Funnel & Gate Design.
- Trenching and aggregate size ZVI particles for PRB design.
- Deep Soil Mixing generally uses aggregate scale size.
- Source area grid injection or soil mixing.
- Direct push injection (generally <200 micron) or permanent injection wells (<10micron only).
- Low pressure injection (10 micron or smaller ZVI).
- Moderate pressure injection (10-44 micron ZVI).
- Hydraulic fracking and higher pressure injection (greater than 44 micron ZVI).
Form: Fine Powder to Aggregate
Density: 1.7-3.6 g/cm3
Molar Mass: 55.85
Solubility in Water: Insoluble
Vapor Pressure: N/A
|Iron||up to 99.5%|
|Carbon||less than 3.0%|
|Silicon||less than 2.5%|
|Manganese||less than 0.8%|
|Nickel||less than 0.20%|
|Copper||less than 0.20%|
|Sulphur||less than 0.15%|
|Phosphorous||less than 0.15%|
|Molybdenum||less than 0.15%|
Most Common Injection Options
Standard Micro 100 (70-325 Mesh)
Injection and Fracking Grades
|SIZE OPTIONS||REFERENCE ID|
|<45 micron||micro 325|
|44-100 micron||micro 200|
|44-210 micron||standard micro 100|
|74-355 micron||F 1|
|124-355 micron||F 2|
New standard size range options available now (getting even smaller!) Important to note that our ZVI is generally made to order since so many customers like to specify their requirements and we don’t like to leave material sitting around oxidizing.
Applicable to Treatment of Many Contaminants Including:
|Hexavalent Chromium (CrVl)|
Chlorinated Solvents and many other Contaminants of Concern (COCs)
|Chlorinated Solvents||Carbon-Tetrachloride||Energetics like TNT, DNT, RDS, HMX and Perchlorate||Technetium||Pesticides||Nitrate and Sulfate||Polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs)|
Chemical Supplier for Remediation Projects
- Magnesium Oxide
- Magnesium Sulfate
- Phosphate Chemistries
- Ferrous Sulfate Heptahydrate
- Iron based chemistries
- Chemical Buffer for pH Control